Monday, July 11, 2011

MSG again. Visiting Sawyer

I haven't blogged for some time because of MSG and all the names it hides under. I was doing pretty well, all symptoms were gone, and then I had a half of a danish roll. In a half an hour my arms and legs were heavy, I couldn't think-my brains were scrambled, and I felt miserable. I didn't read the label! But who would have thought a danish? Anyway I'm feeling better once again and devoted to reading labels thoroughly. At the end of this blog I'll post a list of all the names MSG hides under. And you can read more about it on the internet.

I spent a week in Sawyer with Harry over the 4th. It is not a quiet little town anymore. The new micro brewery is a big attraction. In fact they ran out of beer and had to close for a few days. The garden center gets bigger every year. It has both fresh veggies, flowers, wine, sprays of all kinds for plants, etc. It's always crowded but well worth the time.

There's the Scarlet MacCaw, a gallery of paintings, jewelry, and photos. You can even see some artists at work.

A grocery store, antiques and wig wams for sale can be found.

And a restaurant, Fitzgerald's, is attracting attention. Dave is the new chef and he is really good. The hamburgs are soooo juicy you don't even have to dose them with catchup or mustard. I like the smoked salmon and the crab cakes, too. On week ends there's always something special. Best of all, Dave uses no MSG.

Names of ingredients that always contain MSG: Glutamic acid, Monosodium glutamate, Monopotassium glutamate, Calcium glutamate, Monoammonium glutamate, Magnesium glutamate, Natrium glutamate, Yeast extract, Anything "hydrolyzed", Any "hydrolyzed protein" Calcium caseinate, Sodium caseinate (this was in my Danish), Yeast food, Yeast nutrfient, Autolyzed yeast, Gelatin, Textured protein, Vetsin, and Ajinomoto.

In the next column I'll include the names of ingredients that often contain or produce processed free glutamic acid.

No comments: