Monday, December 8, 2008

Romance and a Great Cookie Recipe

Well, the baby shower for my daughter-in-law was successful. Of course it was the worst snow day we have had so far this year. Still, most everyone came. I had a cheery fire going and plenty of snacks at hand. My daughter did the games and made a yummy trifle. The big hit for me was my Imperial Margarine Cookies which I hadn't made for at least 20 years.

Unfortunately Harry, my one and only, couldn't get to the party because of the snow storm which kept all the out of town guests away. However he can't wait to taste these cookies and I have promised my friend Sally that I would put the recipe on this blog. There is nothing like a tasty cookie to keep a romance warm.

Imperial Cookies

2 sticks Imperial (I have discovered that it is not called margarine anymore.)
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 tsp each of baking soda, vinegar (cidar or wine) , vanilla
Beat a full 15 minutes if you want crisp cookies
Then add 1 and 1/2 cups of flour. Mix well. (Add another 1/4 cup if needed. Mine did.)
Add 1/2 cup chopped nuts if you choose

Put small dabs about the size of a quarter on a cookies sheet. Bake 300 degrees for 20 minutes or until lightly brown. Move immediately onto waxed or parchment paper to cool as the longer the cookies stay on the sheet the more difficult to get them off.

Now I am sure that many of you are aghast that I would mention cooking and romance in the same breath. Many women are sick of cooking or don't like it. The man might also be the cook in the relationship. Great! Take advantage of it. To me creating wholesome, attractive, tasty dishes can be relaxing . Harry treats me by taking me out to dinner. That works for me.

In days gone by we used to have dinner parties which lasted well into the night. I am lucky to have china and silver which makes a table attractive. But you don't need these things anymore and none of my children even want such stuff. Particularly when you have to hand wash most of it. But romance does take effort. Maybe if we keep that in mind and not assume that we can be as sloppy or as careless of another's feelings as we want, romance would last longer and go more smoothly. A friend of mine thought I would have to change my ways while dating Harry as she thought he was a clean freak. I had given him a birthday party at his house and of course had it all cleaned up. What she didn't know was that he is just as guilty as I am about leaving books and magazines all around. Whew! What a relief. We are both great readers and tend to get caught up in what we are doing. Nor does he always see all the cat hair about. These days rather than fussing about that I see that he calls in a cleaning woman before I drive down to his house. One of these days we'll figure out how to merge our lives. Maybe we should look at our horoscopes. This is the month for Sagittarians by the way. (Nov 23 - Dec 21) so we have a message from Sheila.

This is the time of Sagittarius, the sign of the archer. Sagittarians are freedom lovers, travelers, philosophers, and physicists. They enjoy exotic places, are truth seekers, and are always aware of the bigger picture. So, be sure to pay attention to the Sagittarian's lectures. How they love to discuss the world's problems! And they are brutallly honest. If they love you, they'll surely let you know. They are totally blunt about how they feel; not to hurt your feelings but to be honest. If they are blunt with you, it's only because it's their truth. Once they get it out, it's over. Nothing much is held back. Sagittarians love the cultural differences in people and places. They may live in a different country and may marry into another culture. They enjoy experiencing space and freedom.

If you have a horoscope question, leave a comment and Sheila will answer it for you.

And that's it for now. I have to find some more MonaVie, my energy drink. Then there is my Holiday Letter to write and send from Harry and me. He writes his from both of us, too. Obviously this is not a simple relationship. Oh, well.

See you soon. Gloria

No comments: