Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Keeping Romance Hot

The holiday season is here! I was just down visiting Harry, my honey, in Sawyer where we had a very nice Thanksgiving. We drove with one daughter and her family who live in Indiana to a suburb of Chicago where another daughter and her family hosted a lovely dinner. We didn't arrive home until 1 a.m. I didn't get dressed until 4 p.m. the next day.

I'm always exhausted driving down to Harry's any way as it is 100 miles from door to door. I told Harry that if he lived another 10 miles away this romance might well be over. I've already explained why we can't seem to get our act together in previous posts and nothing has changed. On the other hand while I can't claim that absence makes the heart grow fonder, it does tend to keep the romance alive. And Harry does work at making our relationship romantic.

We frequently, go out to lunch and dinner to really good restaurants in Sawyer and the surrounding area. I was surprised that there are so many good eating establishements there. The only problem in the winter months is keeping track of when each restaurant is open or closed. There are many different kinds of offerings and we enjoy them all.

I've got to take my two cats down to get acquainted with his three one of these days soon. That should be a trip! I guess I've been putting it off. I have had Schnickelfritz down but not Blackjack. Cats do not make friends easily. If anyone has any suggestions about integrating our furry friends, please let me know. One of the women featured in my romance book raised cats and she suggested that I take a towel and rub it on mine (one each) and then rub down his cats with the towels so that the scents merge. I did that when I first took Schnickelfritz there and I think it did help. At least there have been no major battles yet.

Of course keeping the romance alive is not just Harry's responsibility, but mine as well. He likes to take me out which I really enjoy and always compliments me on what I'm wearing or just in general. He's also pleased that I've made many new friends in his area. Well, there's a lot of nice people there. My friends in Grand Rapids like him too!

I, in turn, am supportive of his art as he is of my writing and I truly enjoy being with him, which I let him know. He spends many hours on his computer writing his blog or designing a logo or a poster for a client. This bothers me not at all. It gives me plenty of time to rest as I am constantly struggling with low energy.

Incidentally, remember that old adage about the way to a man's heart is through his stomach? Well, it's still true. Harry likes homemake goodies which I try to make for him as often as I can. Fortunately I like cooking and feel that creating good and tasty treats in the kitchen is just as creative as writing or photography.(I'll share some of my photos with you on a later blog as well as some of Harry's wonderful posters. You can see a lot of his art on his website or blog. Just search for Harry Borgman) One of the things I made a couple days ago for him was a hot chocolate sauce which was a secret recipe for many years. It's really quite simple although it takes a little patience as you must simmer it slowly.

I would like to point out, before I give you the recipe, that neither of us really try to change each other. Harry is not perfect and neither am I. We clash on politics and finally have learned not to discuss a political subject with any seriousness, for instance. Basically we have similar life styles and work independently. Of course, this can be a problem because we each need time and space to work. I ride horseback; he doesn't. Well, you get the idea. I know of dear people who think they can change their partner in major ways. Not going to happen. And there goes that romance and they wonder why!


Now, I'll get off my soap box and give you "Bernie's Hot Chocolate Sauce" recipe:
1 can evaporated milk
3 Tbs real cocoa
3/4 C sugar (white or brown)
2 Tbs butter

Mix well. Cook over a medium heat stirring constantly and bring to a boil. Be careful not to burn. Then turn the heat down and simmer, stirring often, until you have the consistency you want - thin or thick. It's great over peppermint stick ice cream. Refrigerate when storing.

Note: I made two batches the other day. One following the above recipe with heaping tablespoons of cocoa which makes it more chocolate and for the other I used only the minimum amount of cocoa and then I added another tablespoon of butter. This will make it taste more like a chocolate caramel sauce.

OK my friends. That's it for now. The next few days I am getting ready to give my daughter-in-law a baby shower with about 25 people coming. I'll get back to you soon with more stories of romance, great recipes guaranteed to please the opposite sex, and photos of people and places. Cheerio!

Gloria

No comments: